Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Salted Chewy Caramels




In order to prepare to make this week's cookie, I made salted caramel. I actually had to make it twice because my first batch wasn't soft and chewy, it was hard as a rock. Although still very delicious, it wouldn't work for my cookie recipe, so I tried again, this time with a different recipe.
These turned out beautifully and even more delicious than the first recipe. Yum!

Salted Chewy Caramels

5 tablespoons butter
1 cup heavy cream
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/4 cup light corn syrup
1/4 cup water

Line a 9x9 baking pan with foil and spray foil with vegetable oil spray.

In a small sauce pan melt the butter, once melted add in the heavy cream, vanilla, and salt. Bring to a slow boil stirring frequently. Remove from heat.

In a 4 quart sauce pan with high sides mix together sugar, corn syrup and water. Boil without stirring (a gentle swirl of the pan occasionally is helpful to avoid hot spots) until a light golden color, approximately 310 degrees. On my gas stove this takes about 10 minutes.

Add in the heavy cream mixture. BE CAREFUL! It will boil up violently!!! Return to heat and stir frequently until mixture reaches 248 degrees, it took about 8 minutes on my stove. Pour into the lined baking pan and let cool.

13 comments:

  1. Oooh those look so pretty! I've never attempted homemade caramels, but what a great way to prep for Christmastime!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks perfect, wonderful and mouth watering.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your salted caramels look perfect! I was searching for a recipe because in Brazil this treat is difficult to find! Now I can make it by myself! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh wow! they look awesome! im definitely bookmarking this. thanks! :D

    http://greenoatsandjam.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Any tips on cutting these? I made them last night and while delicious, they do not look pretty like yours. Also, at what point did you sprinkle the additional sea salt on the top?

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved this recipe but mine turned out hard (boo!)...

    They're still super yummy but I think 8 minutes was a bit long :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello,

    I tried this recipe the other night using simple syrup instead of corn syrup (my boyfriend has a corn allergy) and they tasted great. Can you let me know how and when you cut them? Mine did not look as pretty as yours. Also when did you add the salt you can see in the picture? Did you wait until they were cool?

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. TnT - Sorry I missed your comment! I put them in the refrigerator for a little while after they were cool and I cut them with a knife that I ran under warm water and then dried off, just so the knife was slightly warm. And yes, I waited until the caramels were cool (and cut) to add the salt.
    I hope you enjoyed them, I know I certainly did!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Julie -- Glad to have discovered your blog! Have you compared this delicious-sounding recipe to Baked Bree's recipe? I wonder if the results are similar? I am *just* about to make these for the first time...wish me luck! Also, do you have a favorite caramel sauce recipe? I would like to make some jars for my kids' teachersand neighbors...Thanks! Joanna

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Julie! SO glad I discovered your blog! I wonder, have you yet compared your great-sounding salted caramel recipe to Baked Bree's recipe? I wonder if the results are different? I am *just* about to try this for the first time...wish me luck! Also: do you have a favorite caramel sauce recipe? WOuld like to make a few jars for close friends and teachers. THANKS! Joanna

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Julie,

    I tried these last night (my first try at candy in the kitchen!) and they are delicious. I burnt the bottom layer of sugar in the pan though...I'm guessing from bringing the heat up too fast? Also, they got pretty hard and I wouldn't necessarily call them "chewy". What would have caused this? Should I decrease the time on the stove?

    thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. My caramels came out perfect! I think using a candy thermometer made the difference in the texture. Super yummy!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. AhhhhhhhhhhhI can NOT get this to work!! 2 double batches,BOTH too soft,let the 2nd one go to 250 degrees. FINAL attempt #3 now, will try 260 I guess, need to make my turtles for Christmas today!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete