Monday, January 14, 2008

Gnocchi in review...

This was my first attempt at gnocchi, and I have to say that I was pretty impressed. In general I'm not a huge fan of gnocchi. I don't like it, and the last time I had it, I ended up having and allergic reaction to it. But things went much much better this time.
The ingredients needed for gnocchi are very simple. You need mashed potatoes, flour, salt, and an egg. There is a "correct" ratio of potatoes to flour, but I simply added enough flour until the potatoes and the egg came to the right texture to be rolled into snakes before being cut and shaped.
I skipped taking pictures of the rolling and the mixing because my hands were absolutely disgusting and I wasn't risking ruining my camera by doing that. Basically, I took baseball sized pieces of dough and rolled it out into a rope and cut it into small pieces. When cut the dough looks almost pillow shaped. I then dropped the gnocchi dough pillows into boiling water for 2 minutes or until it floated on top of the water. At this point I put it in ice water to stop the cooking then moved them to a cookie sheet to await further use. Once I was done I made a pink sauce, and dumped the gnocchi in.
Then I stirred it all together and let it simmer until Kristyn and Anne got here to eat. I think one of the best parts about it was that I let it simmer in the sauce, they got a good flavor from residing in the delicious pink sauce for so long.

No comments:

Post a Comment